Selling products online can be a tough gig, but fear not! Your product descriptions are your secret weapon to winning over customers and making those sales.
Creating product descriptions that sell is like crafting the perfect pick-up line. You want to make sure your message is clear and concise, but also captivating enough to grab the reader’s attention.
So, let’s spice things up with some tips to help you write product descriptions that will leave your customers begging for more. Trust me, your product will be the Casanova of the e-commerce world in no time!
Step 1: Get to Know Your Fans
Before you start crafting your product descriptions, it’s crucial to know who you’re writing for. Who are your fans? What makes them tick? What gets them excited? By understanding your audience, you can tailor your descriptions to their unique interests and buying habits.
So, put on your detective hat and get to know your fans like the back of your hand!
5 clever ways to get to know your audience
- Don’t be a stranger! Conduct surveys or polls on social media to get the inside scoop on your audience’s preferences and interests.
- Get your Sherlock Holmes on and analyze your website’s analytics to uncover the demographics of your visitors and customers.
- Engage with your audience on social media to get a better understanding of what makes them tick (or unfollow).
- Listen up! Use customer feedback and reviews to identify common themes and pain points that you can address in your product descriptions.
- Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Research your competition to see how they’re targeting their audience and what you can do to stand out from the crowd.
2. Benefits, Benefits, Benefits!
If you want to sell your product, you gotta make it clear what’s in it for your customers!
What’s the big deal? What’s the buzz? What’s the hot gossip?
Highlighting the benefits will make them see the light and realize they need your product in their lives.
My top tips for discovering and highlighting product benefits
- Your product is the superhero that swoops in to save the day! Think about the problems it solves and how it makes your customers feel like they can conquer the world.
- Your product is unique, just like a unicorn. Consider its special features and how they benefit your customers in ways they never knew they needed.
- Use your words to paint a vivid picture of how your product will make your customers’ lives so much better, they’ll wonder how they ever lived without it.
- Don’t be shy about bragging about your guarantees and warranties. Your customers deserve to feel safe and secure in their purchases.
- Remember, your product isn’t just a thing, it’s a feeling. Think about the emotional benefits it provides, like increased confidence or happiness. Your customers will thank you for it.
3. Convince to Get the Clicks
Alright, listen up, folks! If you want your product to stand out, you gotta use some descriptive language that’ll make it pop. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your adjectives — make that texture, color, and smell come alive!
And when you’re describing how your product works, don’t be a snooze-fest — use action words that’ll get people excited! Let’s make your product the talk of the town!
How to use descriptive language in product descriptions
- Let’s get sensory up in here! Describe the product in a way that makes you want to lick the screen (but please don’t actually do that). Think about how it looks, feels, smells, and tastes (if applicable).
- Power up your verbs to describe the product’s functions and benefits — make it so compelling that customers will be throwing money at you.
- Generic language? No way, Jose. Be specific and detailed about what makes your product unique and valuable.
- Use metaphors or analogies to help customers visualize how the product works or what it feels like to use it. It’s like a warm hug from a unicorn, but for your face.
- Keep your tone consistent with your brand voice — whether you’re serious, playful, or somewhere in between, make sure your language reflects your brand personality. Don’t be a Debbie Downer if your brand is all about fun and games.
4. Use the KISS Method
Alrighty, then! It’s time to get down to the details. I’m talking about product details, of course. Your product description should be a breeze to read and grasp.
Keep your sentences short and sweet, and don’t get too technical with your customers. Unless, of course, you want them to scratch their heads in confusion!
I could add more here, but I’m a firm believer in following my own expert advice 😎
5. Break Things Up with Bullet Points
Bullet points are like little superheroes for your product description, swooping in to save the day by breaking up the text and making it easier to read.
Plus, they’re perfect for highlighting all the cool features and benefits of your product. So go ahead, unleash those bullet points, and let them work their magic!
5 awesome ways to use bullet points in product listings
- Product specs: Give your customers the lowdown on your product’s technical deets with some bullet points. You know, the important stuff like dimensions, weight, materials, and other juicy details.
- Key features: Make your product stand out from the crowd by highlighting its best features with some bullet points. It’s like giving your product a megaphone to shout “Hey, look at me!”
- Benefits: Let your customers know how your product can change their lives for the better with some bullet points. It’s like a magic spell that turns potential customers into loyal fans.
- Testimonials: Show off your product’s glowing reviews with some bullet points. It’s like having a group of cheerleaders shouting “Go team!” for your product.
- FAQs: Answer your customers’ burning questions with some bullet points. It’s like being a mind reader and knowing exactly what they need to know.
Alright, so that’s not a bulleted list, but you get the *cough cough* point.
6. Show Off Your Products
If you want to impress your customers and make them drool over your product, then you better bring out the big guns and include high-quality images!
Don’t just settle for any old picture, show off your product from every angle and in every setting imaginable. Trust me, your customers will thank you for it.
I’m more of a words woman, so I’ll let the experts over at Shopify share some of their best tips for taking amazing product photos with your smartphone.
7. Build a Wall of Love
Ah, the power of social proof! Want to win over your customers? Don’t just tell them how amazing your product is, let your satisfied customers do the talking for you.
Sprinkle in some glowing reviews and testimonials to build trust and boost your sales. Trust us, your customers will thank you for it!
How to show social proof in product listings
- Let your customers do the talking with reviews and ratings
- Show off those glowing testimonials from your fans
- Flaunt your social media mentions and shares
- Get the seal of approval from your favorite influencers or collaborators
- Brag about any awards or recognition your product has received
- Impress potential buyers with stats about your product’s popularity and success
8. Build Trust via Authenticity
Here’s the deal: when it comes to your product, honesty is the best policy. Don’t go around spouting exaggerated benefits or making false claims.
Your customers aren’t fools, and they’ll appreciate your candor. Plus, being honest will earn you some serious street cred. So, keep it real and watch the trust (and sales) roll in!
9. Optimize for SEO
Ah, the elusive art of SEO. Don’t worry, my friend, I’ve got you covered. To give your product the best chance of being found by your target audience, sprinkle in some juicy keywords that they’re searching for.
Trust me, Google will eat it up like a kid in a candy store.
Product listing SEO basics
- Conduct keyword research to find out what terms your target audience is searching for
- Include relevant keywords in your product title, description, and bullet points
- Avoid keyword stuffing and focus on natural-sounding language
- Use H1 tags for product titles and H2 tags for subtitles to help search engines understand the structure of your content
- Write unique and compelling meta descriptions to entice users to visit your product page
10. Test the Waters
Test different product descriptions and iterate based on the results. Use A/B testing to see which descriptions perform best.
Ah, the final frontier of product development: testing and iterating. It’s like a never-ending game of trial and error, but with less error and more data.
And what better way to test your product descriptions than with a good old-fashioned A/B test? Let the battle of the descriptions begin!
Take a look at what WordStream has to say about the difference a couple of words can make in product description copywriting.
Putting It All Together
Get ready to sell like a pro with these 10 tips for crafting product descriptions that will have your customers clamoring for more.
From highlighting the benefits to using language that paints a vivid picture, these tips will help you write descriptions that are as irresistible as they are informative.
And hey, honesty is always the best policy, so don’t be afraid to let your product’s true colors shine through!